top of page


  • 1846 The railway act was passed for the construction of lines between March and the following places:- Wisbech, St. Ives and Cambridge Junction.

  • 1847 The 7.8 mile (12.6 km) twin line between March and Wisbech was opened May, and run by Eastern Counties Railway. The only intermediate station was then know as Pear Tree Hill, ( later Coldham). There was a small goods yard there as well as two platforms.

  • 1862 The line was taken over by Great Eastern Railway.

  • 1863 The original station at Wisbeach was replaced and re-sited to the south of the town and renamed to Wisbech East on the nationalisation of the railways to distinguish it from the Midland and Great Northern railway’s station Wisbech North.

  • 1876 The Pear Tree Hill station was renamed on the 1st September to Coldham station this was the only intermediate station on the line and was approx. 3.5 miles (5.5 km) from March.

  • 1886 Coldham signal box (and possibly the station house) was opened, alongside the down line.

  • 1900 Waldersea Sidings was a small goods yard about a 1 mile (0.6 km) Wisbech side of Coldham, this was opened on Tuesday 20 November by the GER.

  • 1963 Although the line was not in the Beeching report to be closed it was slowly closed over the next few years.

  • 1964 Waldersea Yard sidings was closed on the 13th July 1964.

  • 1965 Coldham’s small yard was closed for goods on 19th April.

  • 1966 Coldham station was closed for passengers on  7th March.

  • 1968 The line was totally closed to passengers.

  • 1972 The line was changed to single line working, with the Down track being lifted.

  • 1992 It is reported that by this year there were no buildings left.

  • 1995 Purina purchased the Wisbech East goods yard from Railtrack.

  • 2000 Freight continued to run until this year providing a service to Metal Box Ltd and Nestle Purina factories.

  • 2001 The Wisbech East station was demolished for a housing development

  • 2002 The line was officially classified as out of use by Network Rail due to poor condition.

  • 2003 The last three sidings at the Wisbech end were lifted and is now part of the Purina carpark.

  • 2005 The line was stopped on the South side of Weasenham Lane when it was resurfaced, the A47 has also been resurfaced since so cutting the line in two at this point as well

bottom of page